Wellness Diary: Habits For Mental Clarity In The New Year

Saturday 29 December 2018
Wellness Diary: Habits For Mental Clarity In The New Year | Jackie O My
The Birth Of Venus, Botticelli.

     We're entering the new year in just a few days, and to mark the occasion, I'd like to write a Wellness Diary post about a huge but often overlooked part of overall wellness: mental health. You may have noticed my absence from the blogosphere lately. I've been taking some time away to focus on my own mental health. I've struggled with anxiety for many years, although it isn't something I open up about a lot on social media. I try to keep my personal life and my blog life separate for the most part, although I appreciate the strong women out there who bare all on their blogs, including their struggles with anxiety disorders. I'm so thankful for their posts on the topic, so I decided there was no better time to share my own tips on living well while taking care of your mental space. Here are a few things I learned while attending wellness classes over the winter season.


Know when to take a time out


You don't have to completely check out of life, or even go on vacation; you do, however, have to know when enough is enough. If Instagram makes you feel bad about yourself, delete it for a while. If your job causes you endless stress, search for a new one. If you hate something about your life, it's in your power to change it. I'm a big believer in taking a "you" day; turning off your phone, blocking outside distractions, and vegging out doing whatever you feel like can be just the recharge you need.

Meditate


Okay, I know you've heard this one over and over, but there's a good reason: it works. I definitely notice feeling more anxiety and stress when I haven't meditated in a few days. Meditation doesn't have to be just sitting and doing nothing; it can mean journaling, muscle relaxation exercises, or yoga... anything that gets you to focus on how you're feeling for ten minutes a day is good. I'm a longtime subscriber of the Headspace app, because I find meditation easier for me in small doses. You can even meditate with exercise! Just give yourself space to breathe each day.


Eat well and drink water


This is so important. When I'm anxious, the very last thing I want to do is eat, and I've gone days with little more than a few sips of water. This is a surefire way to feel terrible and amp up all the symptoms of anxiety I've been feeling while being detrimental to my health. Bodies need nourishment, so make sure you eat and drink plenty of water throughout the day.


Relevant links:

Movement As Medicine - A guide to using your problems to your advantage.
Your 2019 Best Self Checklist - A guide to starting the new year with good habits.
Our Favorite Winter Soup Recipes - Some nourishing soups for winter.


How's your wellness journey coming along? If you've struggled with mental wellness in the past, do respond below! I'd love to have a conversation about it, and we can work together.

No comments

Post a Comment