The Benefits Of Writing In A Journal

Monday 3 June 2019
The Benefits Of Writing In A Journal

     I recently sat down to read through a stack of my old journals. Thrilling, right? The dates spanned the last five years, particularly tough times in my life. I anticipated it would be a dreary activity, but was surprised to feel a surge of pride when I closed the last book. I hadn't realised how much I had changed in as little as five years! I started to consider all the good journaling can do. It can really be an act of self-care. If you're looking for a reason to pick up a pen, here are some of the benefits of writing in a journal.

Self-reflection.

It's a huge confidence boost to reflect on your greatest challenges and how you overcame them. It's not just seeing your progress, but seeing that you are progressing, that makes you feel that you can carry on no matter what obstacles come your way. There will always be mountains, but it helps to know you've climbed before.

Memories.

I came across quite a few entries I never would have remembered having taken place if I couldn't read about them. This is more reflection, but it's even more enjoyable to look back on happy memories. If you're like me and have a less-than-stellar memory, journaling will help you recall the little details of special days for years to come. 

Planning.

Bullet journaling has become super popular; this method is used to map ideas, create lists, keep track of goals and stay organised. Some swear by this writing technique, so if traditional journaling isn't for you, bullet journaling may fit your lifestyle just right.

Reducing stress.

I first started journaling as a way to combat my anxiety and help me stay grounded during tough times. It helped me to get my feelings and thoughts down on paper. Journaling can be incredibly therapeutic, especially if you don't have anyone to talk to. There's no better way to work through problems and clear your head.

Boosting creativity.

Besides being a great creative exercise before writing or starting your day, journaling can help you improve your writing skills. Many people even sketch or write poetry in their bullet journals.

Encouraging mindfulness. 

So many of us never think about the intricacies of our day or stop to notice how we feel. We're too caught up in distractions! Journaling can help teach you to be mindful by forcing to think about your day-to-day events and how you feel about them. It's much easier to be in the moment when you're writing.

With all these benefits, I highly recommend you try your hand at keeping a journal yourself.

My favorite journals:

I currently use this beautiful Kikki K. 365 Day Hardcover Journal, which has writing prompts at the bottom of each page. Lavendaire also makes some really pretty journals, although I haven't tried them yet.

Do you journal? What are your experiences? 

2 comments

  1. Ahh I love this post so much! Journaling is something I've flirted with pretty inconsistently, but I always love it so much when I do, and find rereading them very encouraging. Thank you for the reminder to put pen to paper <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kailey! I know, I am the same way! Sometimes I forget to make the effort for weeks and when I come back to it, it always feels so nice. x

      Delete