A Note On The Australian Wildfires

Monday 13 January 2020
A Note On The Australian Wildfires | Jackie O My

     Perhaps you haven't been following the devastating brush fires that are blazing across Australia at the moment; perhaps you have. I'm certainly no journalist, and I feel ill prepared to pass on any knowledge about something that is so important. But currently, from what I understand, New South Wales and Victoria (among other states) are fighting some of the worst brush fires in recent history. Of course, Australia is no stranger to wildfires, but there seems something different about this one to me; this fire brings up feelings of impending doom for the earth. As Greta Thunberg said, "Our house is on fire".

Currently, 27 people have been killed and 15.6 million acres of forest has been burned. I cannot imagine the number of animals, from mammals to insects, that have been lost, not to mention the impact of smoke on the environment. I've been keenly interested in footage of efforts to save the animals, and I've seen some truly beautiful acts of bravery, selflessness, and trust that surpassed the language of species. But it seems there needs to be more; Australia and its inhabitants still need help.

What you can do

Please, if you're able, consider donating to WWF Australia, one of my particular favourite charities. You could also help by donating to the Australian Red Cross or the New South Wales Rural Fire Brigade, who are risking their lives to fight to blaze and rescue injured animals.

Together we can make a difference.

No comments

Post a Comment