Book Club: The Little Book Of Hygge

No comments:
Book Club: The Little Book Of Hygge

     As I said when I shared my Simple Ways To Practice Hygge, I'm totally interested in a lifestyle that embraces simple pleasures and comforts. After finishing The Little Book Of Hygge: The Danish Way To Live Well earlier this week, I'm looking forward to making hygge a part of my daily routine more than ever.

Meik Wiking is the CEO of the Happiness Research Insitute in Copenhagen, as well as the author of The Little Book Of Hygge. I have to say that when it comes it Danish living, he really knows his stuff.

The Little Book is indeed petite and boasts a beautiful hardcover. The artwork is what drew me to this book in the first place (besides never needing an excuse to add some extra happiness to my life). The cover features a lovely hyggelig illustration of candles and a blue tea kettle; very fitting. The book contains pretty illustrated charts throughout, as well as lovely full page color photos.


Book Club: The Little Book Of Hygge

For those who don't know, hygge is a little difficult to define, but most agree it has to do with coziness, togetherness, contentedness, comfort, and wool sweaters. The first thing we learn in The Little Book Of Hygge is that Danes are crazy about candles. The book talks extensively about how to have a hygge home, hygge home decor,  how to dress in hygge clothing, and hygge traditions. I quickly felt overwhelmed and vaguely panicked; hygge is evidently a lot more effort than I anticipated. Meik Wiking admits that the Danish are perhaps a bit hygge obsessed. There is a lot of talk about adhering to hygge tradition. In fact, there's an entire section devoted to the origin of the word, and I won't lie, that section is dull. However, see it through; the book quickly shifts and picks up again.

Meik provides a lot of happiness related research and useful guides. He also provides several lists, including how to have a hygge home, seasonal hygge activities, how to make a "hygge kit", and hygge places to visit in Copenhagen. There is even a batch of hyggelig recipes! (Braised pork with potato mash sounds particularly delicious).

My favorite sections of the book, however, talk about how hygge is about company and relationships, feeling trust and creating a safe place in a hostile world. I love the advice on how to relax, savor simple moments, and be happy.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, although I finished it in two days, so I do suggest it as light reading material.


Book Club: The Little Book Of Hygge

Have you read The Little Book Of Hygge? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment