Book Club: Anne Of Green Gables

No comments:
Anne Of Green Gables Book Cover

"It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will." 
- L.M. Montgomery, Anne Of Green Gables

          Books are my weakness and my passion. In order to share my love of reading, I've decided to start a post series called Book Club where I will review what I've read recently. I'll be starting with this classic about a plucky redhead with a penchant for mischief.

Although Anne Of Green Gables has long been one of my favorite stories, this is the first time I've actually read the book as opposed to watching the 1985 miniseries. I'm happy to say it's instantly become one of my best-loved books, and Anne Shirley one of my favorite literary characters. Written by L.M. Montgomery in 1908, Anne Of Green Gables is a true Canadian treasure. I was lucky enough to snag this beautiful hardcover copy illustrated by Anna Bond of Rifle Paper Co. 

The story follows Anne, an imaginative and clever but unlucky orphan who, through a fateful mistake, finds a home with Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert in Prince Edward Island. There, Anne meets "bosom friend" Diana Berry, and the two embark on a series of lighthearted adventures. It's a delightful, heartwarming story with a lazy pace, brimming with bits of humor. It carries the timeless themes of growing up, so the book never really feels out of date, although the world outside its covers may change. The characters are vibrant, detailed, and easy to love, and as you watch Anne grow from a girl into a young woman, it's hard not to get attached to the vivid cast of characters. I loved getting lost in this story and traveling back in time for an afternoon.

I was a little worried the story would lose some of its beauty on paper without the images of Prince Edward Island and the music score, but L.M. Montgomery's poetic descriptions make up for it. If I could change anything about the book, I would make it longer! I would want to continue reading Anne's entire life story. 

This particular edition even has recipes in the back, so you too can try some treats from Marilla Cuthbert's kitchen.

I highly recommend reading this book and visiting the little town of Avonlea in your imagination. 


Anne Of Green Gables Book Inner Cover

Anne Of Green Gables Book Spine

"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it...yet."
- Anne Of Green Gables

No comments:

Post a Comment